Welcome!

This is a blog about the Church of Jesus Christ, and about my work in the Church this summer. For more information on my summer internship, see the first post.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Welcome!

This is a blog that I've set up in order to keep something of a 'journal' on my internship experience this summer. To everyone who reads this blog (especially my brothers and sisters at All Souls Anglican Church in Wheaton) I want to extend a warm welcome and also to thank you for your prayers. I'll be spending ten weeks (starting June 12th) in Newport Beach, CA, where I will be interning at St. James Anglican Church. This is part of a program at Calvin College in which I've been participating called Jubilee Fellows (hence the blog title). Through this experience, I hope to gain more insight into the nature of the pastoral ministry, and to further discern my calling to be a minister of reconciliation in God's kingdom.

The website of the church in which I will be working may be found here, and a fairly detailed wikipedia article about the church may also be found here. St. James is a parish deeply committed to the gospel of Christ and to historic Christian orthodoxy (a commitment for which they felt compelled to leave the Episcopal Church USA in 2004), and embraces a wide variety of ages, gifts, and worship styles. Though I have been in touch only with some of the clergy at the church, I can tell that becoming a part of the community for the summer will be a great experience, filled with wisdom and guidance from the Holy Spirit.

I will be driving (yep) to Newport beach, setting out on Wednesday and arriving (Lord willing) on Saturday - the longest road trip I've ever taken alone. But, as I've told some friends at church, I'll have music and caffeine, which, together with the amazing scenery I'll enjoy along the way, are all I really need :-) When I arrive, I'll be living in an apartment on an island across from the Church; at some point in the near future, another intern will be arriving (from England!) and we'll be rooming together.

Here's the route I'll take to get out there (on the way back, I'll probably go a different way):


View Larger Map

Well, that's all for now, and I'm very excited to get started on Wednesday. Your prayers are much appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for setting up the blog, David. I'm adding it to my gReader tonight. Have a wonderful drive -- such an adventure. Enjoy God's beautiful creation along the way. You are ready for this -- the drive, the internship, the summer. May God richly bless your travels and your connections with St. James this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you as well David for setting up this Blog so that we can follow along with you on this journey.
    I've seen God's hand upon you since you were just a little boy, and I am so blessed to be able to see how God is using you now as a young man.
    James and I both will be praying for you!
    Love you,
    Marti

    ReplyDelete